No news is well... no news

So I'm about five weeks into the sending off of the various documents to the DVLA to get a registration number issued to my Twingo. I've heard absolutely nothing, and contact with the DVLA is like banging your head against a brick wall. The autobot response is that "we'll send confirmation once it is processed" which is great, except I'll know it's been processed because the cheque will have been cashed by DVLA. What I'd love to know is that you've actually received it and are at least dealing with it; the one thing you can't tell me. 

Anyway, I decided to take advantage of this period of sitting waiting by ordering some service parts for the car, which I had delivered from GSF car parts. Sourcing Elf oil (remember Renault a choisi elf) was more difficult; and I had to order that via Amazon. As the service history of the car is unknown I have gone for a full oil and filter change, air and fuel filter and finally spark plugs. Coolant will be changed in due course when the cambelt and water pump are done.
Service parts stashed in the boot.

The first step was to replace the air filter, a 5min job which revealed a fairly new looking filter in place but I've replaced it anyway. Next step was the spark plugs, a fairly easy job involving releasing the cover over the HT leads; which reveals a little tool for pulling out the HT leads by the collar and thus reducing damage. The plugs came out fairly easily but were not particularly fresh looking. New plugs were reseated and tightened up to the correct torque.


Clever design of the cover over the HT leads includes this handy tool for pulling the HT leads out by the collar, minimising damage to the lead (above).  

4 spark plugs removed below, show reasonable wear.

Unfortunately the battery is pretty weak so I had to boost it from my daily driver Volvo C30 but she fired into life and is running quite happily; so I'm quite pleased to have got this far with it. 

Daily driver Volvo C30 meets the Twingo, and provides a bit of battery boost. 


Sadly the workshop was closed Friday, so I wasn't able to get the car on the four post lift to do the oil filter, something I'll be doing next week after work along with the fuel filter. 

Hopefully into week six some sort of positive news might reach me from Swansea. I had hoped to enter the Twingo into the Luton Festival of Transport on the 27th June, but I can't see the car being ready unless the V5 arrives before the end of the week, giving me time to enter. It's also due at the Haynes Motor Museum Sunday breakfast club the following weekend, and an exciting event on Bristol's harbourside on my 40th birthday later in the month. Fingers crossed something happens soon before the whole show season is done for :(

Comments

  1. You're such a caring and patient owner! 🤗🤗🧸

    Why the hell does it take so long for the DVLA to get in touch with you? I thought our authorities are the worst ever, but the British ones seem to come close. 😢😭

    Keep fingers crossed for you and your Beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For Fog's sake...

Why a Renault Twingo?